Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis-Baby's Beginning

My experiences of concieving our first child using preimplantation genetic diagnosis

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Doubts


I keep having so many worries and doubts about doing the preimplantation genetic diagnosis procedure. Not about its success necessarily, but about its necessity. I guess since there isn't much wrong with me, I have a hard time picturing myself having a baby with all those problems. There's so much we don't know about medicine. And genetics is such a new field. What if this disease is just part of our natural evolution somehow? What if the disease can have some good sideeffects in girls that they haven't realized? I'm not sure exactly what I mean.

I read somewhere that about 50% of a woman's eggs that get fertilized in the womb have some sort of chromosomal abnormality, or something wrong with it, that makes the body naturally abort it during the first month before the woman ever even knew she was pregnant. If that's true, then perhaps my body can naturally filter out my eggs that carry the disease. With my disease, Incontinentia Pigmenti, only 50% of my eggs carry the genetic disorder. The others are normal. Maybe I don't need this preimplantation genetic diagnosis procedure. Maybe my body can just take care of it naturally! But my mother's body obviously didn't filter out me, yet I turned out fine...

But what kind of risk would I be taking there? I can't keep second guessing everything like that. I have to work with the medical knowledge we have at this time, even if it is limited. What I know right now, according to modern science, is that the disease is dangerous, and 50% of my eggs carry it. I think it is my responsibility as a future mother to do everything I can to prevent passing it on to my children. Therefore, scary as it is, I will do the preimplantation genetic diagnosis procedure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Traffic Statistics
ShoeBuy Coupons Com