Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis-Baby's Beginning

My experiences of concieving our first child using preimplantation genetic diagnosis

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Organizing

OK. Now that we decided to do the preimplantation genetic diagnosis procedure (I'm going to start calling this PGD), we've got to get things organized. There's a lot to think about. I already had my prepregnancy checkup with my ob/gyn before I got my IP (Incontinentia Pigmenti) test, so that's taken care of (I'm in perfect health, she says). I guess the first thing we need to do is:
  1. Meet with a genetic counselor.
My ob/gyn, before she abandoned me for Hawaii, said that if the test turned out positive, I should meet with a genetic counselor. Isn't it kind of amazing that there actually exists a person called "The Genetic Counselor"? Sounds kind of Star Trekky. Actually, I've done so much research on my disease and procedures now myself, I don't know what the counselor can tell me that we don't already know. However, it still seems like a good idea. My ob/gyn's office gave me a referral for one, so I'll call and set up an appointment.

The next big thing is:

2. Find a doctor/clinic/hospital/centre that does PGD's for my rare disease.

This could be difficult. There are only 3 centres in the world that even do testing for it, and I know the one in the U.S. doesn't do the procedure. I asked when I did my test. That probably means we will have to travel to the U.K. or Italy for the procedure. I doubt insurance will cover travel expenses. Speaking of insurance,

3. Figure out exactly what insurance will cover and what we'll have to pay.

We've got 100% in-network infertility coverage, and 80% out-of-network, so we're probably in pretty good shape, but better check.

And #4:

4. Read in detail about the procedure so I know what to expect.

1 Comments:

Blogger Roxy Mourant said...

Nice work! Good reading.
Can't wait to see the results!!

Love you.
Mom
Gpa
Gma

Friday, July 14, 2006 4:50:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Traffic Statistics
ShoeBuy Coupons Com