Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis-Baby's Beginning

My experiences of concieving our first child using preimplantation genetic diagnosis

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Updated Price List & Test List

Here's the total price list that Dana emailed me:
  • $3,500 PGD setup fee - For design of our testing system (we don't know yet whether we'll be able to get the PGD stuff covered by insurance or not)
  • $1,500 Biopsy fee - to test the eggs/embryos for IP
  • $2,000 Optional full chromosome testing fee (we probably won't do this)
  • $500 Optional gender testing of embryos (not sure whether we'll do this or not)
  • $10,000 IVF fee - $8,000 should be covered by insurance, $2,000 we'll have to pay
  • Seattle-Chicago travel we haven't arranged yet
Test List - These are the tests we're required to have before we can do the IVF/PGD. I think this will only be helpful for those of you that have some infertility experience, because personally I don't know what most of these are yet!
For me (the female) :
  • CBC (I don't know what this is)
  • Fasting Glucose
  • Blood type & Rh
  • Rubella Ab
  • Varicella Ab
  • CMV Ab (I'm guessing CMV must be one of the routine vaccinations, I don't recognize it though)
  • TSH (don't know)
  • RPR (VDRL) (don't know this either)
  • Hepatitis B Surface Ag
  • Hepatitis C Ab
  • HIV Antibody
  • Day 3 FSH (?)
  • Day 3 LH (?)
  • Day 3 E2 (?)
  • Day 3 Prolactin (?)
  • Cervical Cultures
  • PAP Smear
  • Uterine Cavity Assessment (HSG) (eww...)
  • Day 2-3 Ultrasound
  • Physical examination
  • Genetic carrier screen as applicable for ethnicity (I don't know what these are, but I hope we don't have to worry about it!:
    • Cystic Fibrosis
    • Tay-Sachs
    • Canavan
    • Familial Dysautonomia
    • Hemoglobin electophoresis
For my husband (why do HIS tests always have to be more fun than mine??):
  • Semen Analysis
    • Volume
    • Concentration
    • Motility
    • % Normal by Kruger or WHO Criteria
  • RPR (VDRL)
  • Hepatitis B Surface Ag
  • Hepatitis C Ab
  • HIV Antibody
  • Genetic carrier screen as applicable:
    • Cystic Fibrosis
    • Tay-Sachs
    • Canavan
    • Familial Dysautonomia
    • Hemoglobin electrophoresis
I think just about everything is a blood test. The only one I'm worried about is the Uterine Cavity Assessment. Not worried about the results, but worried about the process...I think this is the one where they shoot some dye up into your uterus and tubes to see if they're open or not...ewwww. Not fun. I'm pretty sure I don't have any tube problems though, so hopefully it won't be that big of deal... We'll be doing these tests probably in January.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I work for National Tay-Sachs & Allied Diseases Association, Inc. (NTSAD) and found your blog because of a google alert for 'Tay-Sachs.' If you and/or your husband are of Ashkenazi Jewish descent, which I am assuming because they are screening you for several of the common Ashkenazi Jewish diseases: Canavan, Tay-Sachs, Cystic Fibrosis and FD. Please be aware that there are 11 diseases common to the Jewish community. For more information please review the Testing section of the NTSAD.org website. Or contact me for more information Kim@ntsad.org. It would be just awful to go through PGD and find you have a child with one of the other common Ashkenazi Jewish disease; it wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

Warm wishes,
Kim Crawford
Director of Member Services
NTSAD
800-906-8723

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:12:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CBC = complete blood count (Full blood count in England!)

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:53:00 a.m.  
Blogger PGDMom said...

Thank you for the information. No, we're not of Jewish descent - I just wrote down the screening options that were on the form, I'm not sure which ones we'll actually need to do yet.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:43:00 p.m.  
Blogger PGDMom said...

Ah ha! So that's what CBC means! Thanks :)

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:44:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Traffic Statistics
ShoeBuy Coupons Com