Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis-Baby's Beginning

My experiences of concieving our first child using preimplantation genetic diagnosis

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Found one spot

I emailed the centre that did my genetic test asking for recommendations for institutes that do PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) for IP (Incontinentia Pigmenti), and they recommended one called Reproductive Genetics Institute, which is based out of Chicago and has centres world-wide. Apparently I made a false assumption, because the places that do general testing for the disease and the places that can do PGD for the disease are not the same places. So that idea about having to go to the U.K. or Italy is out! Which is good! Chicago at least sounds a little closer and cheaper.

I checked out their website, and it looks pretty impressive. Apparently they are one of, if not THE, world leader in the PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) field. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that my rare disease was actually on their list of diseases that they regularly screen embryos for! I've been googling around many other companies' websites that do PGD's and had found them really lacking in information. Reproductive Genetics Institute however had tons of info, including detailed PDF info packets about specific procedures, a nice video touring the institute, and some short patient testimonials.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Incontinentia Pigmenti International Foundation, whom I also emailed asking for PGD centre recommendations, so we won't make a decision yet about whether to choose this institute or not. But this one looks pretty good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Traffic Statistics
ShoeBuy Coupons Com