Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis-Baby's Beginning

My experiences of concieving our first child using preimplantation genetic diagnosis

Monday, March 31, 2008

It's over. FAILED.

I can't believe it. After everything I went through...multiple injections every night, needles and probes invading my body, our savings emptied...and all for nothing. We went to the clinic this morning for my transfer, all excited and bladder full. We sat waiting for about 45 minutes. Then Dana came and called us back, and said, "I'm sorry, but I have bad news." Out of our 7 zygotes, 3 tested positive for IP. Of the 4 IP-free ones, 2 had chromosome problems. The remaining 2 simply didn't grow, for no known reason. 7, 4, 2, ... 0. There is always some percentage in every batch that has chromosome problems, and there's always some percentage that just doesn't grow. Unfortunately for us, the ones with IP, the ones with chromosome problems, and the no-growers all just happened to be different ones. They said it was just really bad luck. It doesn't mean that my eggs or bad or anything, just plain bad, horrible luck.

I'm really devastated. I feel like my whole life has just fallen apart. We did this procedure to avoid another miscarriage, but really it was just as bad, worse actually, with all the drugs, needles, and invasive procedures. Even emotionally it's just as bad, because it drags out for months and months. The steroid especially made me feel so bad physically. So we have 2 choices now, to try again naturally, or to try the PGD again. I've chosen to try naturally. This was no better than a miscarriage, so I'd rather keep my body healthy and natural than doing all these drugs and procedures again. If I have another miscarriage, then we'll try the PGD again. Neither recurring miscarriages nor the PGD is good for the body, but at least maybe I can switch back and forth to avoid getting too much of one thing...

I just can't believe this happened...I never thought we wouldn't even have any to put back... :(

2 Comments:

Blogger 4Moms2B said...

I'm sorry. We're about to go through what you did. We're in the middle of an IVF cycle, but I don't have high hopes (maternal age: 42; huge male factor). We have two kids already and were really hoping for a third. I don't think we'll do IVF again. It certainly isn't fun with all the injections.

My question is, did your doctor talk to you about the risks of PGD? We're opting for ICSI and assisted hatching, but not PGD, because we read that there is a risk of misdiagnosis (a good embryo thrown out for bad, and a bad one retained for good) and also damage to the embryo. Instinctively, it doesn't seem like a good idea to bust through the embryo and pull out a blastomere.

On the other hand, we've had multiple miscarriages, so we're exactly the candidates for PGD. Would you do IVF again without PGD?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:43:00 a.m.  
Blogger PGDMom said...

4Moms2b-
Yes, the doctor did talk to us about the risks of PGD. Even just the IVF without PGD also has many risks associated with it. I believe I discussed some of them earlier in this blog, if you want to read back through the archives.

Doing IVF alone or IVF w/PGD is certainly not an easy decision. Personally, I would never do IVF again without PGD since in my case, it wouldn't make sense. I have a 50% chance of passing on the genetic disorder. The risk of misdiagnosis is less than 5%. There's no question that in my case, the PGD is absolutely the better option.

In your case, I would also strongly recommend that you do not attempt IVF without the PGD, because of your age. For women over 40, I don't remember the exact statistics, but I believe it is something like 60% of your eggs will have some chromosome abnormality. Like me, your risk of having a child with a disorder is far, far greater than the risk of misdiagnosis - 5% or less. It's also true that if there was a misdiagnosis, some embryos with disorders would fail to grow, or would miscarry naturally early in pregnancy, so the chance of you having a child with a disorder is probably even less than that 5%.

If you're concerned about misdiagnosis, you can also choose to do a CVS or amnio test once you're pregnant, to confirm the PGD testing.

Yes, there is also the chance of damage to the embryo, no procedure is perfect, but compared to your chances naturally, I really think PGD is a much better option for you.

Friday, October 03, 2008 12:53:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Traffic Statistics
ShoeBuy Coupons Com